July 10, 2019
2:30 PM - 3:15 PM | Registration
3:15 PM - 3:20 PM | Opening Remarks
3:20 PM - 4:15 PM | Building a Successful Women's Initiative within Your Organization
In this interactive workshop, a panel of CRE leaders who have implemented successful women’s initiatives in their organizations will share how they’ve created women’s networks. Attendees will then break into groups and discuss strategies to create a mock women’s initiative for an organization. After a half hour of discussion and collaboration, panelists will invite representatives from each group to the stage to review their strategies and share their findings.
- Develop framework for launching or expanding a women’s initiative to make an impact on career objectives, empowerment, advancement and recognition
- Leadership & Implementation: what to consider, how to govern, analysis of core requirements to ensure success and setting the initiative’s goals to work within the corporate culture
Linda Aronson, Managing Director, Property Management, JLL
Lisa Konieczka, Executive Vice President, Advisory & Transaction Services, CBRE
Lainie Minnick, Managing Director, Head of Debt Capital Markets & Chief Financial Officer, Black Creek Group
Karen Whitt, President, US Real Estate Management Services, Colliers International
Stacey Gorman, Senior Vice President-Investments, Marcus & Millichap
4:15 PM - 5:00 PM | Welcome Cocktail Reception
6:00 PM - 10:00 PM | Women of Influence Awards Reception & Dinner
Additional Fee Required.
July 11, 2019
8:00 AM - 8:45 AM | Registration & Breakfast
8:45 AM - 8:50 AM | Opening Remarks
8:50 AM - 9:20 AM | Keynote: Shaping the Face of Real Estate - Experiences from Leading Women in CRE
In this keynote discussion, a leading CRE developer in the region and a real estate economist team up to discuss their experiences in shaping the face of real estate, the trials & tribulations of rising to the top in a male-dominated industry, and hopes for the future of women in the real estate industry.
Heidi Learner, Chief Economist, Savills Studley
Celeste Tanner, Co-Founder & Chief Development Officer, Confluent Development
Melissa Palazzo-Hart, Entrepreneurial Business and Marketing Leader & Managing Director, Eclipse Advertising
9:20 AM - 10:15 AM | 2019 WOI Spotlight: The Path to CRE Success & How it Compares to Different Industries
This year’s Women of Influence class discuss how they’ve reached their levels of success. Panelists will share how the industry has changed, parallels between then and now, and impart advice for women of all levels today.
- Hear professional advice from WOI of different backgrounds & industries
- Discuss challenges faced as leading women in a male-dominated industry
Carmela Ma, CEO & President - CJM Associates, Inc.
Karen Halpert, SVP, Head of Property Management - VEREIT, Inc.
Marie Phillips, Director - The Instant Group
Camille Renshaw, CEO & Co-Founder - B+E
10:15 AM - 10:45 AM | Networking Break
10:45 AM - 11:30 AM | How to Have It All in the New Age of Business
In this session, a high-profile CRE leader discusses the struggles of being a woman in business today. Collete English-Dixon, executive director of Roosevelt University’s Marshall Bennett Institute of Real Estate, and real estate chair of the university's Heller College of Business, discusses how to “Have It All” as an established professional, mentor and family woman, who is currently working to groom the next generation of real estate leaders at one of the most prestigious business schools in the country.
Collete English-Dixon, Executive Director, Marshall Bennett Institute of Real Estate & Real Estate Chair,
Heller College of Business, Roosevelt University
Heller College of Business, Roosevelt University
Christine Chipurnoi, SVP Real Estate Construction & Hospitality, USI Insurance Services
11:30 AM - 12:30 PM | Uncovering the CRE Gender Gap & Overcoming Unconscious Bias
Although the number of female leaders in CRE is slowly increasing, there’s still a clear disparity when it comes to treatment of women in these roles, whether in the form of pay equity or other discrimination. In this session, the women of real estate will discuss the gender gap within the industry and how to overcome obstacles related to bias along the way.
- Uncovering unconscious bias and how it manifests in CRE companies
- How to determine if you’re being discriminated against
- Getting buy-in from the C-Suite organization leaders
- How to implement gender bias training within organizations
- What resources/toolkits are available
- Determining effectiveness of training sessions
Jennifer Carey, Founder & President, JLC Environmental Consultants
Cindy Colvin, Senior Vice President & Debt Team Leader, SunTrust Bank
Liz Holland, CEO, Abbell Associates
Kimberly Lamb, Senior Vice President, Operations, Lincoln Harris Corporate Service Group
Carly Glover Saviano, Partner, Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
12:30 PM - 1:30 PM | Networking Lunch Roundtables
1:30 PM - 2:30 PM | Best Practices for Building Your Personal Brand
This panel discussion will focus on how to take charge of your career development and build your own business within your real estate firm. Topics discussed will include strategies for advocating for yourself & your team, and how to become an asset to any real estate organization.
- Self-marketing strategies and how to make your presence, skills and achievements known, both within your firm and the industry
- Be your own advocate: a tactical approach to self-awareness and boosting your confidence
- How finding your tribe can make the difference
Jodi Meade, Principal & National Director - Automotive Properties Group, Avison Young
Stacy Stemen, Vice President, Corporate Marketing, Passco
Beth Zafonte, Director, Economic Development Services, Akerman
2:30 PM - 3:30 PM | Changing the Game: Mentoring & Sponsoring the Next Generation of Women in Real Estate
In this community-building exercise, a panel of CRE leaders will share strategies for mentoring & sponsoring young women in real estate. Attendees will then break into groups to discuss topics in mentorship and sponsorship. After a 20 minutes of discussion and collaboration, panelists will invite representatives from each group to the stage to review their strategies and share their findings.
Topics discussed will include:
- Mentorship vs Sponsorship - how they complement each other & how to pay them forward
- How established leaders choose which young professionals to mentor and sponsor - strategies for mentorship
- How building relationships helps professional growth
- Overcoming career roadblocks and how to navigate around bias
- Resources to finding a mentor or sponsor within your organization
Karen Case, President, US Commercial Real Estate, CIBC
Kristen Croxton, Senior Vice President, Originations, Capital One Multifamily Finance
Cherilyn Megill, Chief Marketing Officer & Senior Vice President, Marketing and Communications, Phillips Edison & Company
Hilary Provinse, Executive Vice President & Head of Mortgage Banking, Berkadia